Find out local clubs and leisure facilities with accessibility for those with physical disability
I have looked in my local area (BN9) to see what facilities are available;
1. Seahaven swim and fitness centre, Chapel Street, Newhaven have a Therapeutic swim session. This offers a maximum of 20 people to the pool for an hour giving the space and quiet sometimes needed for those with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
2. Sound Tennis Sussex, Virgin Active, Hove Park Villas, Hove provide coached and uncoached tennis sessions using sound balls for blind and partially sighted players. All levels of fitness are welcome. This is further away as it is in BN3 area.
3. Newhaven FC, Fort Road Recreation Ground, Fort Road, Newhaven They have football training groups for all ages and abilities. They train outdoors on a grass pitch. This includes a walking football team and football for well-being each group meets once a week.
4. Playgrounds at The Dell, Peacehaven and The Salts, Seaford have swings for those with physical disabilities that make it difficult to access the standard children’s swings and also swings that wheelchairs can be moved onto. Seaford beach is also constructing a wheelchair friendly path from the promenade, across the pebbles on the beach to allow more people access.
5. SCDA, based at Denton Island Community Centre, Denton Island, Newhaven provide a number of free courses for the whole community. Their Healthy Walks take place on several days and state the terrain and duration of guided walks. These are aimed at getting people with all abilities outside and enjoying a chat together.
6. Wave Leisure facilities (Seahaven swim and fitness centre is one of these as well as Shakespeare Hall, Newhaven and The Downs Leisure Centre, Seaford and Peacehaven leisure centre ) have disbaled access such as lifts fitted to allow users to access sports activities on all floors but there are no specific activities advertised for those with additional support needs. They offer an inclusive policy where classes are for all ages and abilities and trainers are available in the gyms to advise on which equipment can be safely used.